Tuesday, October 17, 2006

No Title 2.

Pa,

I’m not trying to get all sentimental and stuff because I know you don’t belief in that and you will probably squirm. But hear me out alright? Because there are some things you really need to know.

I know that you and mommy gave up most of your youthful life bringing our up our family. When most young people your age were still out there partying and having the time of their lives, you were taking on loans and planning for our future. You gave up your youth for us, so in your senior age, I want you to relieve what you missed out on. I want to send you traveling to all the places you’ve only been reading about in that library of yours.

I know that you were the first person to introduce words and books to me. Because I can remember hating you for forcing me to read my ‘Peter and Jane’ book over and over again until I got it right. And now I can read! All because of your brave efforts of taming the wild Doreen! I know you are disappointed that it is getting hard for you to read the books you love. Because you once told me that when you finally retired you would have the time you needed to savoir every book you collected like precious treasures these past years. So now, I want to be the one to repeat the words for you, to read and re-read your books for you.

You used to try your best to dress me up. But your ever practical taste always ended me up looking like a little china boy. White singlets, shorts and caps were our dress code, I used to complain silently about the lack of pretty dresses and frills, but you taught me that simple was beautiful. You used to tie my hair for me every morning before kindergarten, though I would squirm at the yanking and pulling, I actually didn’t mind that the two pigtails were always unbalanced, because non of my friends dads tied their hair for them. You took time to do even the things that most dads would disregard as not important or not under their job scope as a father. I just wanted you to know that I still remember those moments, they are important to me and that your time wasn’t wasted.

You tied my shoe lace as tight as you knew how because you didn’t want me to trip and fall over them, and you washed my cuts when I was still clumsy enough to fall down in the end. Now it is getting harder to move around, but I want to be the one to hold your hand tight as you learn to walk again, and I want to wash the cuts I caused you by ignoring your needs for so long.

Even when our family was at a stable stage and you could provide for us comfortably, you still thought of us above yourself. You deserved all the expensive perfumes, golf games and fine wine the rest of your colleagues were enjoying. But instead, you chose to save up and send me to medical school.

Pa, you were never really good with affectionate words or actions. But that’s how we knew you always loved us. Your hard work, lessons by examples and sacrifices gave and taught us all we needed to know. And maybe all you ever wanted from us was for us to one day become useful, responsible people. We are on our way there Pa, wait for us ya?

Love,
Doreen.

She never delivered the letter.

No comments: